The Certified Hockey Professional (CHP) Designation
The Business of Hockey Institute (BHI) was created to improve the economic viability of professional and amateur hockey through education, research, consulting, and advocacy. As part of its educational mandate, BHI has created the Certified Hockey Professional (CHP) designation.
The CHP was created with four inter-related objectives in mind:
- Identify and recognize the executives and managers whose efforts make it possible for others to play and watch the most exciting sport on the planet.
- Encourage talented executives and managers to pursue a career in the hockey business.
- Create a pool of draft-ready managerial talent to staff hockey or hockey-related organizations.
- Improve the economic viability of professional and amateur hockey.
The CHP is only awarded to individuals who are members in good standing of BHI. In order to qualify, members must:
- Provide reference letters affirming that they possess the professional demeanor and moral character expected of CHPs.
- Complete a business or management degree at a recognized postsecondary institution.
- Complete the CHP Professional Education Program (CHP-PrEP) through BHI’s academic partner, Athabasca University.
- Accumulate a minimum of three years of managerial experience within hockey-related organizations.
Those who hold the CHP are required to demonstrate on an annual basis that they are maintaining their professional currency through continuing education and attendance at industry events.
Individuals who already have a business or management degree and significant managerial experience need only complete the CHP-PrEP in order to qualify for the CHP. (Students from industries outside of hockey may be required to gain some experience in a hockey-related organization prior to being awarded the CHP.)
Individuals without a graduate business degree may apply to AU’s Executive MBA program and, if accepted, can take the CHP-PrEP in lieu of their MBA electives.
CHP Professional Education Program (CHP-PrEP)
The CHP-PrEP consists of six, senior MBA level courses that focus on business-related aspects of hockey. These courses were developed with input from executives representing both professional and amateur hockey (e.g., NHL, AHL, WHL, Hockey Canada) and all functional areas of the hockey business (e.g., marketing, finance, operations).
The six courses that comprise the CHP-PrEP are as follows:
- The Business of Hockey
- Marketing Hockey Strategically
- Integrated Marketing Communications for Hockey
- Game Day Management & Marketing
- Hockey Operations
- Managing Franchises Strategically
BHI’s official academic partner, Athabasca University (AU), delivers the CHP-PrEP courses. BHI selected AU as its partner because of its experience with online education and, in particular, its experience delivering Executive MBA programs online. In 1994, AU was the first university in the world to offer a fully interactive online Executive MBA program. It now oversees Canada’s largest Executive MBA program which has earned a place among the top MBA programs in the world.
AU’s 24 hour online format makes it possible for hockey executives to complete high quality courses while still meeting work, family, and other commitments. Designed to fit individual schedules, these courses can be successfully completed from home, work, or even while travelling. Executives need not leave work for a month, a year, or even every second Friday. They choose their study hours, working at the time and place that’s right for them.
Courses are typically eight weeks in length with a gap of two weeks between courses. As a result, the CHP-PrEP can be completed in as little as one year. All six courses must be completed within three years of the date the first course was commenced.